|Delberta modeling one the aprons she made to demo for the night group|
If you are interested in making a similar apron - below is the pattern.
FOUR CORNERED APRON
- Cut material into a square: 23 to 28” using 2 fabrics – one for back and one for front.
- Cut pocket, if desired, approximately 8 ½” x 6” using fabrics for front and back.
- Cut two 25” strips 2 ¾” wide for ties. If you need a larger size, cut longer.
- Cut one 24-25” strip 2 ¾” wide for strap around the neck. This will be used with a button or Velcro closing. If you want a tie, cut 2 about 18” long by 2 ¾” wide. Can use either fabric for this to contrast or match.
- Fold tie straps in half and sew with a ¼” seam on side and one end. Cut one end each w/a 45 degree angle. Do the same if using 2 ties for the neck. Press seam open here before turning inside out from open end. Press again.
- For pocket, put two fabrics together, fold in half and cut top front and back pieces at a 45 degree angle. Sew together leaving a 2-3” opening to turn on one side. Turn inside out and press.
- Place pocket on left or right side 2” from center of apron, about ½ way down. Place apron on you to check for best position. Sew pocket onto apron. Add a button to the “V” part turned over to the front.
- Place tie strips for sides 4” above diamond point on each side and sew with straps facing the center and seam towards the bottom.
- Turn down the top point of the apron down towards the front about 5”. Place neck strip on back left side. Sew in place. If using one piece, make a buttonhole in strip and add a button to the back of the apron on opposite side of the strip already sewn. Add a button on the piece folded over in front.
- Place back to front right sides together and sew on all sides leaving a 3 or 4” piece on side for turning. Round off corners and turn fabric inside out. Poke the points out at all 4 corners. Press.
- Sew the opening by hand or top stitch around the apron about ¼” from all edges.